I have finally seen the last movie! I have no real commentary, as I had completely forgotten everything from the books, save the endless forest scenes from the first movie. As it were, I kept leaning over and asking people, "Was that
in the book too?!"
And now I want fic! I haven't read HP fic since probably around 2005 or so, so older recs are good as well.
Things I am looking for:
- Snape backstory. Snape/Lily and AUs also good.
- Lily getting to be an actual person instead of a love interest or a dead mother.
- Luna and/or Neville, either character studies (especially with Neville's parents! Or Longbottom backstory), or ship fic. I could probably ship them with nearly anyone.
- Stuff complicating the Slytherins, since I don't believe the entire house could be evil. That said, I am not a Draco fan, nor am I interested in Harry/Draco.
- Dystopic AUs under Voldemort rule or backstory from the last time he was in power, preferably with a focus on the women instead of the Marauders.
- McGonagall being awesome.
- Stories about Hogwarts in the seventh book, particularly during the events when all we see in the book is Harry, Ron and Hermione in the forest. Students and professors rebelling, like in OotP, etc. Stories about Hogwarts right after the big climax in the end also good.
- Stories about the wizarding world recovering from Voldemort.
- Politics in the Ministry of Magic.
- What's going on in the rest of the world as Voldemort climbs to power again.
- Something really complicating the human vs. non-human dynamics in the books, especially re: the house elves.
- Female friendships in the books.
I am not looking for most ship stories (I make an exception for Luna and/or Neville, and also for femslash). I'm fine if there's shippy stuff happening in the fic, but I'd rather that not be the focus of the story. I am also not a fan of teacher/student fic, unless it is post-Hogwarts. I'm not particularly interested in more about Harry, Ron, Draco, Dumbledore, Remus, Sirius, or James. I do want more about Snape, but I like Snape as a complicated, petty, heroic, cruel character.
Basically, I want things that expand on the worldbuilding. I love the history in the books, the generations lost to battles with Voldemort, the politics in the Ministry, the sense of bigotry and oppression and rebellion. I like stories of ordinary people being extraordinary. I have a weird liking for Hermione and Snape, but less as a ship and more as intellectual interaction. I love the HP series, but I also want to complicate it and poke holes at it and critique and put more layers in.